Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sad Farewell


Snickers King
1995-2009

This morning I discovered my beloved in the back yard under a pond liner I had propped up in the back corner. He looked like he was sleeping, but he was gone. He passed away sometime in the early morning.
I could go into more detail about how he was in his final moments, but I think that's not what he wanted. He was with me when I had to put to sleep my 2 cats of 18 years, and I'm sure he knew what a strain that put on me. Snickers always had a way of doing whatever he wanted, from his sneaking food, kisses or even sneaking out. This was just another thing he wanted to do himself.
In the end he just looked like he was sleeping, a pastime he loved best.
I guess I never really realized until now how old he really was. When I told people Wicket, my Pomeranian, and his age, people just didn't believe me. They thought Snickers was the puppy. But that's how he lived his life, in the moment having fun and bringing joy.
Nobody who ever met him didn't love him. He was often the brightest moment in my day, and in my life. I KNOW I will see him again, and I truly hope he will bless me with a sign that he's ok.
Until then I will try to remember him with love.



Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...


2 comments:

Melanie said...

My great condolences on this loss. I loved Snickers a lot. He was one of the most joyous spirits I've ever known. I know you treasured every moment with him.

The piece at the end was so lovely. I hope its sentiment is helping during this hard time.

I'm here. I love you. My shoulder awaits if you need to cry on it.

Marie said...

What a wonderful tribute to such a dear friend! Our pets completely become a part of our family! I'm so sorry for your loss. I can tell by your post that your love for him was so great and that now, this journey without him may be a difficult one.

Please know that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.